Top Moments of the FINAL ‘The Force Awakens’ Trailer
After a long time of waiting, fans finally got their closest glimpse of Star Wars: The Force Awakens yet with the final trailer during Monday Night Football on ESPN. I was ecstatic all day long, eager to see it, and it did not disappoint in the least. There were a large number of epic, moving, and just plain-spectacular moments, but I will share a few of my favorites:
1. Rey in the Star Destroyer. The opening scene of Rey in the wrecked Star Destroyer on the desert planet of Jakku evoked a sense of nostalgia and scale. Nostalgia because we’ve seen Star Destroyers many times before in the Original Trilogy, but we have never seen one not in space. Seeing Rey spelunking through the wrecked ship gave audiences a sense that J.J. Abrams has paid attention to making this galaxy we all remember feel even more real than it ever has.
2. Falling TIE Fighter. For some reason, this shot is one of those that sticks out to me. I don’t know how to explain it entirely, but it is a perfect blend of the old and new. We know what a TIE Fighter is, but this one is definitely different than the ones in the Original Trilogy. The effects also blend the old and new in a seamless shot that I can’t help but get shivers whenever I see it.
3. Kylo Ren Reveals His Intentions. The Force Awakens‘ villain, the mysterious Kylo Ren, has been for some time shrouded in, well, mystery. We’ve learned some stuff about him like “Kylo Ren” not being his real name, but a moniker members of a mysterious cult known only as the Knights of Ren adopt. In this trailer, we finally get to hear him speak. “Nothing will stand in our way. I will finish what you started.” Even though he only speaks two sentences, those words reveal quite a bit… and not a whole lot. We can only assume that he is speaking to Darth Vader who died in Return of the Jedi. One must wonder what exactly Kylo Ren intends to do in order to fulfill this promise.
4. The Knights of Ren Gather. As mentioned above, there is an order known as the Knights of Ren. Seeing as Kylo Ren in this group, one can only assume that this gathering is one of some of the members of said group. Where are they, and what are they planning? Also, it looks as if only Kylo Ren is wielding a lightsaber. Does this mean that he is the only Knight of Ren with such a weapon? Is he the only wielder of the Dark Side that we will see in the film?
5. Leia and Han Solo. The relationship/banter between the feisty Leia Organa and the cocky Han Solo has always been one of my favorite parts of the original films. Since The Force Awakens takes place thirty years after Return of the Jedi, and assuming that the two have stayed together for all those years, they are sure to have hit some rocky roads and must have quite a few stories to tell. This shot was heart-warming and also provided us the official first glimpse of Leia in the film.
There are plenty of more amazing moments that were shown in the trailer, of course. I would love to hear about your favorite moments and thoughts about the final trailer. Comment below!
A 21-year-old native of Michigan, Evan Morgan is an aspiring author and screenwriter. Coming to the video production and acting school, Center for Creative Media in 2014, he now lives in East Texas amongst a dangerous number of books.