Thoughts On The Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer
Today’s post is written by one of our 2014 January interns, Evan Morgan. Giving us some clever thoughts on what the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie might have in-store for us just by watching the teaser trailer.
Unlike other years, deals at hundreds of stores wasn’t the thing that everyone was talking about. Instead, everyone was on the internet, watching the newly released teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In less than twelve hours, the trailer had been watched 1.5 million times, and since it has been ten years since Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was released, there is good reason for it.
For any one of you who is not aware, The Force Awakens is the first ever film that takes place after the original trilogy that ended with Return of the Jedi. It is also the beginning of a new trilogy that will continue on until 2019. Since the prequel trilogy isn’t very popular amongst very many fans of a galaxy far, far away, it isn’t hard to understand why many are anxious to see the new films.
Here are the top five moments from the new trailer:
- Helmetless Storm Troopers. If assumptions about John Boyega’s character are correct, this is the first time we have ever seen a stormtrooper without a helmet. Time will only tell if this is an actual stormtrooper or not.
- Newly-designed Storm Troopers. One must wonder why Stormtroopers are still around. It could be that they are parts of the Empire that were spread across the galaxy during the Battle of Endor in which the Rebels destroyed the second Death Star. Then again, with a new design and how well-polished the look, I find it hard to believe.
- X-Wings. Storm Troopers aren’t the only things that are getting new designs in this film. Instead of four engines, the new design sports a dual set. It also trades in the red paint for blue. Also, they seem to be on a new planet that we have never seen before in the Star Wars universe. Am I the only one who absolutely love this shot?
- A new Sith. One of the most brow-raising of the trailer– and most disputed, no less– is the reveal of a new follower of the Dark Side and his lightsaber broadsword (broadsaber?). Is this the character that many have assumed Adam Driver will be playing? Is he a Sith, or is he just someone who embraces the Dark Side and aspires to be a Sith, as Asajj Ventress (as seen in the animated series, The Clone Wars) or the Inquisitor (as seen in Star Wars: Rebels)?
- The Millenium Falcon. Finally, something familiar that hasn’t been updated. The shot of the Falcon flying above the desert planet (Tatooine?) and engaging in a dogfight with those infamous TIE Fighters with the iconic roar of their engines is a sight that sent chills down the spine of any true Star Wars fan.
What about you? Were you impressed with the teaser? What were your favorite parts? If you weren’t impressed, what were you hoping for? Tell us in the comments below!